Friday 29 September 2017

So I made it to the final year!

Seems like only a few months ago when I created this blog after my SPM and now I'm in the final year of my degree. Was a curious kid back then; what kind of roommate will I get, what will I study and so on and so forth.
Five years later, here I am... with so many turns and changes in my life. It's a wonder on how very short period of time can change people so much.

Anyway, we (my classmates and I) thought that this semester would be the most free of all, with less subjects taken this year (we even took extra subjects for fun) but unfortunately, we're three weeks in and yet I feel like I can use some help from the oxygen tank! I was seriously restless, even my sister and my housemate said, "Why are you guys always busy, running here and there?" because we rarely saw each other. Only last week, I went to see a lecturer to drop one of the subjects because our schedule was super packed. On Mondays, we had classes from 8am-10pm. AM to PM. Had to run during the break for prayers and didn't have the time to eat ! And that's only for Monday. Kept coming home during Maghrib hours and night was left for assignment time. Plus, most of our lecturers won't be available for a few weeks next month and I guess those extra classes and extra readings took the soul out of us.

Nonetheless, I woke up every day with excitement to go to those classes. Yes, tiring it might be but the fun of gaining new information overpowered the fatigue. Semantics had been VERY logical but the lecturer made it easy and God how she loves The Big Bang Theory (finally someone who can understand why I love TBBT so much) and keeps using the linguistic examples from the series; I just love it and understood better hahaha. Urgh I aspire to be that kind of lecturer (although if I'm being honest, I obviously won't be teaching semantics. I mean... bro). 

Learned more about phonology too but quite scared with the upcoming tests and quizzes. With phonology, you might think you answered correctly but be prepared to cry haha. Always needed to second guess your instinct lol. If I happen to develop trust issues within me, I'm going to come at you, Phonology.

And my most favourite of all, Malaysian Literature. We studied literature across the globe for the past few years and only learn the literature of our own country in fourth year haha odd, I know. I thought the class was going to be boring with so many historical facts and figures involved but boy, was I wrong. Big time.
The lecturer revealed the truths behind the historical events which were not in the textbooks but researches proved otherwise and I felt bad for my lack of conscience. Should have done more readings on my own country before weighing the rights and the wrongs.
Plus, my tutor is Japanese. He's nice and his explanations on the literature in Malaysia were sooo on point. And he's a feminist too, even more than I am, I think. Haha. We were discussing a short story last week and he asked us to point out the gender discrimination issues from it. I noticed a few but it was not like it's a big deal. It was normal in the society. However, after he pointed out a few words used and the language described, I swear my ears were burning with anger (towards the character) haha. So yeah, can't wait to listen to his analysis in other oeuvres. He's now my third favourite lecturer hehe. Of course no one can beat Dr Rita and Dr Agnes. They're the bomb dot com. Ah I miss their classes. 
P/s: Would they notice it if in the future, after graduating, I join their classes for fun, just to listen to their lectures? 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment